This is my video summary of the major steps in the process of making it all look right. It was simple, but difficult and technical at the same time…is that believable? Hope you like it…HUGE THANKS to Jonathan Jackson at jhjackson.com for his skilled editing and technical help! He is the best.
Perhaps if you are wondering, it took:
about 12 trips up into the Needle
about 2 weeks to make the models and create the digital plan of action
about 3 days making the outlines by dragging fat lumber crayons over the rough composite roof
about 6 gallons of house paint of about 7 colors
about 2 weeks of rolling paint
about 15 4-inch rollers
about $120 dollars of spray paint that I never used because it was too windy (!!)
The widest span between leg tips is about 100 feet
Number of times they are referred to as “spiders” vs “harvestmen”: 287:1
Wow, I am so tired but so elated. Not many art projects turn out just how you plan them to…but this one did! Yesterday was an amazingly beautiful and dramatic sunset, and I enjoyed it up on the roof with my constant seagull companions and such cool light.
Check out this VIDEO news brief of my project on KOMO:
News is amazing, this is the third completely different version I have seen! Different dialog, different anchors, different helicopter footage for each one!
Here is a timelapse from yesterday. It was death defying as you can see…I needed a full body harness to secure my life that was just hanging in the balance. But the clouds and sunset were beautiful. If you think it was hard for the webcam lens to adjust to the constantly shifting light, imagine my eyes!
Last Friday I got booted off the roof until my contract’s so called “tricky wording” (that took 2 months to figure out…) could be finished for me to sign, so I took the weekend off. But arriving Wednesday, amazingly the contract lay before me and was made of real paper and I signed it! Finally! There were many weird provisions for safety, (“like no horseplay on the jobsite”??- isn’t that the one thing that made pools fun?) I had to get a rundown on the procedure before the guy to sign me off on it left, so that sent me racing down to SODO to get a full body harness and rope anchor system. Certainly got me stoked to return there to get a bosun’s chair for some huge wall in my future…
Coming back refreshed, I have been hitting it pretty hard, finding so many tiny yet major modifications to make to the female. I was still unhappy with the base color of the legs, so I mixed together a drabber color that looks much better. Its so funny…why would the 1″ x 1″ color chip under florescent lights at the paint store look any different on an 80 foot leg viewed at an angle from 500 feet up?Going thru the whole process of adding highlights and shadows has been very tedious…its tricky to guage how much shadow to show on the margin of the left side leg 3 Patella, and for that matter how much highlight on the rim of the distal part of right leg 2’s metatarsal? Deep questions…deeper responses from my rollers.
I am elated to have the RV up here so I can get an early start tomorrow…Its gonna be a whole day on the male. I look forward to capturing the whole day with time lapse, but the angle is tough to choose. Puget sound in the distance like today’s video with the sunset and ferries and containers ships, (but with bad glare for the lens), or from the side or back with the space needle in the distance but a very distorted harvestman…hmmm I will sleep on it.
Its hot up there, but I would DEFINITELY take heat over the constant wind. Not both. I can’t use my expensive larder of spraypaint (I had planned on) because the paint just gets shoved right up into the stratosphere to never pigment evermore. That said, the mural is progressing like I would have hoped. Some things are moving slower, some faster, but overall I would go on record saying I am slightly behind. I have went ahead in exactly the opposite order than I had planned…I will now do the shadow LAST, and everything else first. But that will be super fun because it “pops” already, but with the shadow, it will look so believable. I can’t wait to do that!
I started off using about 30 fat lumber marking crayons, which worked great, and had to outline the odd shapes and abstract nature of the Opiliones skewing long. They are stretched so that the viewers at the observation level of the Space Needle will see a believable 3D illusion.
I made models and photographed them on site at about 1pm to get their shadows.
And when it came time to paint, I laid down a thick dark brown coat of paint that would be my silhouette. Even with a few legs painted…no details, no highlights, no shadow, they looked amazingly alive and 3D. Very reassuring and overall it is turning out better than I could have hoped. Especially from my eavesdropping on passersby at the observation level…everyone seems to notice and get who they are up there with to look at the “spiders”. Lots of kids showing their parents. I love it.